Wednesday, March 17, 2010

a wednesday in awesome emails.

mine:

dear [dr. awesome, the best director ever who i still call doctor even though she signs her emails with her first name],


I'm attaching what I have so far. It's 8 pages, but doesn't include the chapter by chapter sketch of my project yet. I just have no idea if I'm on the right track or not.  I think I am, and I kind of like it, but I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to do for the introduction of the chapters. I don't want to talk about them ad nauseum, but I am guessing that I need some sort of abstract-like synopsis of each one in order.  Is that where I end? 

Also, I'm not really sure how well I'm connecting or commenting on these ideas or how well I'm actually introducing my overall thesis and focus (that could be because I haven't yet read through all of my drafts yet...). I feel like I know what I'm trying to say, but I'm not sure if it's coming out in any way intelligently. If you wouldn't mind letting me know what you think, that would be great.  I'll keep working on other things, including working on the synopsis section, so please don't feel like you have to turn it around immediately.  



[blahblahblahdraftdeadlineblahblahblah]


thanks,
teachergirl.


her reply, which came 30 minutes later:


[teachergirl], I was curious and had a little time so I just read the intro very quickly. I think it is quite good.  I’ve made just two quick comments and I have a comment on the Claude glass note—I’ve never heard of this other form of glass so do double check.    And yes, add brief (one paragraph at most) descriptions of the chapters.  You can do this last.  You will also probably have revisions for this intro after you have finished with the rest, which is one of the reasons that I have not gone over it really carefully yet.  It’s fine for now—good work.  Now go on to the rest and return to the intro last, when you really know everything that you have accomplished! [dr.awesome]

WOOT.  

i have established a reward system for the last parts of my dissertation.  this one? the draft of the introduction done and sent to dr. awesome? RUNNING SHOES.


i'm so excited.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment