Monday, August 16, 2010

bieber, cable, and pickles.

i hate justin bieber.

yes, i broke my blog silence to tell you that. i think the kid needs a haircut, and if i have to hear one more thing about "bieber fever" i might want to throw something large and sharp at the media person who uses the term.

(hi, lurking government officials. no real threat intended.  HYPERBOLE. thank you. you may move on.)

i just don't get it. i grew up with real idols. i grew up with the true teen angst and fever. i grew up with...

...new kids on the block.

i saved up my money to buy a poster. i didn't buy a poster of jordan (gag) or joe (hi, i'm a cradle robber, but really? the kid was not even post-pubescent).  no, my crush was on the quiet, shy, and it turned out deeply anxious jonathan.

he was my teen dream.

but at least nkotb had a media machine behind them. tours. real singles. no manufactured interactions with hip-hop sort-of stars.  huge sales of albums. DOLLS. LUNCHBOXES. CARTOONS. 

they knew how to do teen stardom back in the day, let me tell you.

they weren't discovered on youtube. nope. they were found on the mean streets of boston and then manufactured into a supergroup by someone who knew what they were doing and knew not to be indicted for sketchy behavior later (i'm looking at you, o-town guy).

those were the days, man. those were the days.

--

i have five syllabi and a whole teaching organizational structure to figure out this week. i plan to do it all from my couch.  musicboy starts band camp on wednesday. i plan to not see him again for many many moons.  sad.  i like him. i will miss him.  i want to be able to take care of him the way he needs to be taken care of when he's doing all of this hard work in the sun to become the most awesome college marching band guy ever, but for various and sundry reasons that's proving difficult for me right now.

i think it's going to be interesting, to say the least.

--

i can't decide if we should spend extra money to have real cable or if we should just suck it up and not.  it's football season, though...and oh how i miss espn.  maybe we can do it.  maybe i can justify it. maybe...

speaking of football season, i will be going to collegetown games by myself, since musicboy will be in the band. that means, more than likely, that i will be sitting in the midst of drunk people.  i don't like drunk people. no offense, but they're obnoxious and the smell of them makes me want to vomit on regular days.  give me massive amounts of sun and some degree of dehydration and that vomit quotient is amped significantly.

i have received advice to scalp my student tickets and buy alumni tickets, where people actually sit down and it's in the shade. 

i can't decide if i want to do that or not.  either way, i'm just not so sure it's the most fun idea ever to go to football game by myself.  but...i wouldn't miss musicboy's performances for the world.

it's a pickle, i tell you. it's a pickle.

2 comments:

  1. I have several Justin Bieber songs on my computer and I'm not at all ashamed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate Bieber, too. And FYI...I also enjoyed a little NKOTB (though I was a little young). I even had an NKOTB slap bracelet. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete